Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Long Weekend

We have had such a busy, long weekend. Friday, I was once again at the kids school. I had organized donations from parents for gift cards for Ali & Josh's teachers as end of the year gifts. (Another mom organized the one for Maveric's teacher.)The response from the parents was really weak! I asked that they give $5 and did not receive many $5 donations from either class. I guess to me, coming off of three years of homeschooling where we had to purchase every textbook, workbook, visual aid, every copy, or scrap of paper that was used, $5 did not seem like much to give! It has been amazing to me especially with Savannah, the value of the public school system. Savannah has had an entire years worth of saxophone instruction through band and vocal instruction through choir; all free. All things that would have cost us plenty if we were homeschooling. Which also makes me wonder why homeschool kids could not join these aspects of the public school system. Obviously as tax paying citizens, the homeschooling families are also funding these programs. I wonder why they could not take advantage of the extracurricular aspects of their zoned schools? I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me has also wondered this, but just a thought. I love to support all of the homeschooling families. The sacrifice that is put into home educating your children is amazing as is the result when it is done right. Anyway, we had a tournament in Hendersonville for Ali. They played like rock stars on Sunday and won it. Yesterday we had a cookout/shower for my sister and brother-in-law. I almost cried when the monsoon came. But the rain let up and it ended up being a wonderful evening spent celebrating my new neice! We had such a great turnout and I think everyone had a really good time. I was so busy trying to run the shower while soothing my sick Piper-girl that I did not take a single picture. Hopefully I can get some from my mom. Hope your Holiday was wonderful as well.

No comments: