Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ali's Field Trip

Ali and Drew
Evidently Ali has joined a gang. Not sure which one.


Screaming at the fake T-Rex

Breanna, Destiny, Ali and Drew gather for our only group shot!

I got the stressful opportunity of chaperoning Ali's class field trip to the Adventure Science Center. I thought that it would be a lot of fun since we went on a regular basis for the three years that we homeschooled. When we would go it was really relaxing for me to let them take their time and enjoy whatever they wanted. Lunches were always a pleasure because the lunch room overlooks all of downtown Nashville. Well, this was a very different experience altogether. I was put in charge of Ali plus three other girls and handed an agenda along with a scavenger hunt to complete along our merry way. The noise level was so deafening there was no talking involved. Only lip reading with hand gesturing. The group was so excited to be out of the school building that they ripped from one exhibit to another barely grasping what was being taught. Going to the top of the tower, one member of the elite group decides that she would rather go off and experience some other exhibits. So between levels she turns around and heads down. Did I see her do this? No. Not until we were at the top did I realize that she was GONE. The rest of our group and I searched frantically for this lost child. We arrive on the 2nd floor to see her enjoying a ride in the wheel chair exhibit. How ironic that at that moment I wanted to put her in one! She agrees to stay with the group from then on. Only to have her not comply when we were all ready to head to the next exhibit. UGGGH!!! So, God bless the Saint of a teacher that puts up with this type of disrespect on a daily basis. Lord knows I could not. I did enjoy getting to be there for Ali, but not sure if I would volunteer for this type of field trip again.

No comments: